Island Crisis was founded in May 2008 by problogger “nicknamed” Kurt Avish. IC ~ the now common abbreviated call of Island Crisis, started as a small personal blog to share lyrics written by Kurt. Over the months the blog evolved to become this big baby it is today.
IC is an alternative news, Tech news, Gossip news and Mauritius news blog. The factor that makes IC different is that even though it is firstly a news sharing and news discussion medium, the site also have some very good tips, tutorials and how-to articles. (And adding more and more every week!)
Founders of Island Crisis
About Kurt Avish
He is a Computer Science and Engineering graduate from the University of Mauritius. Kurt Avish is the founder and chief editor of Island Crisis. He apparently created and sold one now-very popular site but he insists that this is not mentioned here. So some research work for you.
Priscus (real name: Prisheela Mottee) is the woman who motivated the foundation of IC back in 2008 and we are all very grateful to her. From 2008 to May 2010, Priscus was the senior editor and strategic adviser here but left us to pursue with her career in May 2010.
Priscus is a Political Science graduate from the University of Mauritius. She has also worked on many social and political related side jobs and aside from being an editor.
Milestones of Island Crisis
Every step is a challenge and every destination is an achievement. At IC, we managed our way through many milestones since May 2008. Below is a brief:
- 20 May 2008 – Island Crisis founded on a blogspot domain at islandcrisis.blogspot.com
- August 2008 – Island Crisis started to receive a stable traffic of around 100 readers per day
- 5 December 2008 – We bought the domain name www.islandcrisis.net
- 6 December 2008 – We bought our first shared hosting at Byet
- February 2009 – The theme and site design of IC was remade. We switched to the current theme.
- 20 February 2009 – We got our first traffic peak on IC (2000 readers in one day)
- March 2009 – A new era for IC. Our reader base started to grow faster and we reach a stable 1000 visitors per day.
- May 2009 – Due to growing traffic we had to move to a more powerful server. We switched to Doreo.com shared server on Litespeed.
- November 2009 – A record in IC traffic peak. We successfully made 27000 readers in one day.
- December 2009 – We reached our traffic milestone at around 8000 readers daily and also increasing our RSS subscribers count.
- January 2010 – As IC grows we had to choose a more powerful server. On the 11 of January we moved to our first dedicated server with Doreo.
- January 15 2010 – Bad News and we went mad handling traffic peak and a dedicated server crashing so many time in a day. Doreo tried their best to maintain our server but even then, due to the traffic style of IC (which is not spread in 24 hours), we had to choose something better than a dedicated.
- January 16 2010 – We moved to Cloud Hosting at RackspaceCloud.
- September 2010 – As the site grow further our hosting fee keep growing too. Finally we decided to move to a customized dedicated server at Hostgator.
- February 2011 – We launched our free classified ads (petites annonces) section to complement the already existing services offered.
- January 2012 – Launched a new Mauritius News Website: SparkingDawn.com in partnership with another local company Tidal Waves Ltd.
- January 2013 – Acquisition of SparkingDawn.com by Island Crisis Network. Over 500 original articles from ex-Sparkingdawn.com merged into the ever growing database of Islandcrisis.net
And it’s not all. We have more to come and we’ll update here all our major achievements. Meanwhile we just want to say we LOVE YOU ALL.
Subscribe to Island Crisis
We always like our readers to keep coming and interact. So do not forget to subscribe to our feed and share your opinion daily. You can subscribe in a rss reader such as Google Reader. You will have to add this feed address to subscribe.
If you are not at ease with a rss reader then simply subscribe by email. You will get the intro part of the post each time we publish an article. In this way you will never miss any of my new articles. The articles delivery are done between 21hr to 22hr every night (Mauritius Time GMT +4).
To subscribe simply fill in the form below. You will then receive a confirmation email in your inbox. Please do confirm by clicking the link you will get in the email so that you give Google Feedburner the permission to send you our articles.
Alternatively if you need to contact us or want to advertise on the site, then please contact Kurt by using this form here.