Former University of Hawaii football star Colt Brennan dies from accidental drug overdose


Colt Brennan

Mitchell Layton / Getty Colt Brennan

Colt Brennan’s cause of death was determined four months after the athlete died in May.

The former University of Hawaii football star suffered an accidental overdose, caused by a fatal concoction of fentanyl, methamphetamine, amphetamine and ethanol, a representative from the county sheriff’s department told PEOPLE of Orange.

Brennan, 37, died on Monday, May 10 at Hoag Hospital in Newport, Calif., After trying to check in at a drug rehab center, but was turned away due to a lack of beds. Colt’s father, Terry Brennan, said his son was five months away from a six-month rehabilitation program when he ingested something containing fentanyl and lost consciousness.

RELATED: Colt Brennan, Former University of Hawaii Quarterback and Heisman Trophy Finalist, Died at 37

“He left peacefully,” said Terry Honolulu Star-Announcementr, noting that Colt was surrounded by his family at the time of his death. “He was listening to Bob Marley. His sisters had a necklace around him when he was unconscious. They had the music of Bob Marley playing near his ear.”

Colt became the Rainbow Warriors’ starting quarterback at the University of Hawaii in 2005, where he set several NCAA records for college football, including the second-most touchdown count in a single season with 58 (the record was then surpassed by Joe Burrow during the 2019 season). He was also a finalist for sixth place in the Heisman Trophy in 2006, before finishing third (behind Tim Tebow and Darren McFadden) in 2007.

The Laguna Beach native was drafted into the Washington football team in the sixth round of the 2008 NFL Draft. Although he played during the preseason, injuries kept him from playing games. regular season, and Colt was subsequently released in August 2010.

RELATED VIDEO: Saturday Night LiveNorm Macdonald’s Norm Macdonald Dies Aged 61 Following Private Cancer Battle

He had a brief one-month stint with the Oakland Raiders before sustaining a car crash in Hawaii in November 2010, which left him with a head injury, broken ribs and a broken collarbone. Colt went on to play for the United Football League, Canadian Football League, and Arena Football League, and was last released from the Los Angeles Kiss in 2014.

RELATED: Kate Quigley Says ‘I Decided Life Must Go On’ After Suspected Group Overdose That Killed 3 People

Colt was arrested twice last year, once for disrupting a hotel while intoxicated, and again a few months later for another disruption at his Hawaii home.

“It seemed to have an effect on him to the point where he just ended up going from one bad place to another bad place,” Terry told ESPN. “I don’t know how to put it any other way. You make decisions and sometimes they’re the right decisions, and sometimes they’re the bad decisions.”

If you or someone you know suffers from addiction, please contact the SAMHSA Addiction Hotline at 1-800-662-HELP.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.